Virginia Cooperative Extension is looking for qualified applicants to become Master Food Volunteers!
Participants receive 30 hours of training over four days:
- Basic nutrition
- Meal planning
- Cooking techniques
- Food safety
- Working with diverse audiences
At the end of the training, participants are equipped with the knowledge and skills to confidently help others improve their lives through balanced eating and healthy living. In return, participants commit to 30 hours of volunteer service within one year of the training.
Opportunities for service include health fair displays, food demonstrations at farmers' markets, teaching food safety classes, submitting articles to the media on nutrition and wellness, assisting with Extension nutrition programs for youth and adults, and much more!
Extension offers spring and fall training sessions for new Master Food Volunteers in Alexandria, Arlington and Fairfax.
Participants are required to attend all of the training dates and complete homework to fulfill the 30-hour training requirement.
Fall 2020 training will begin in November. Specific dates to be determined.
Application deadline: Rolling admission to be on the waitlist for Fall training or join the Spring 2021 training.
Training location: Virtual training for Fall 2020
Fee of $120 will cover training materials, apron, tote bag, and supplies.
- Download and complete the Master Food Volunteer Application.
- Return the completed application by the application deadline.
By email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Applicants will be interviewed to determine their interest and availability. Applicants will complete a criminal background screening, which is required for all VCE volunteers.
- Payment is due two weeks prior to the first class day.
Upcoming Training Dates: Stay tuned.