VCE Arlington News
- Here is the recording of September’s (2020) panel on Using & Reviving School/Youth Gardens During the Pandemic. Panel speakers included LaVeta Nutter, VDOE Specialist for Agricultural Education, Jordan Johnson, City Schoolyard Garden Program Director, and Aisha Salazar and Kirsten Conrad, Virginia Cooperative Extension Agents
- Growing, Bagging, Donating—Community Comes Together in Arlington, The Arlington Connection. Read the article here.
- Arlington Embarks On Modern Take on WWII Victory Gardens, Insidenova. Read the article here.
- ARLNow.com reported on VCE's partnership with Arlington Public Schools (APS) and Friends of Urban Agriculture (FOUA) in developing School Victory Gardens. Read the article here.
- Public Asked To Report Receipt of any Unsolicited Packages of Seeds
The Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services (VDACS) has been notified that Virginia residents have received unsolicited packages containing seeds from China. Please do not plant these seeds. VDACS encourages anyone who has received unsolicited seeds in the mail to contact the Office of Plant Industry Services (OPIS) through the ReportAPest@vdacs.virginia.gov email.
- VCE, Arlington Food Assistance Center (AFAC), and Friends of Urban Agriculture team up to support garden vegetable donations to local food bank. Read about it in this Arlington Connection news article.
- All Arlington County Virginia Cooperative Extension (VCE) supported volunteer and public education programs have been cancelled until further notice. The Fairlington Community Center building and the VCE office are open with limited access and staffing. Please check Arlington County’s COVID-19 website for current facility status.
- Virginia Tech researchers awarded $1 million grant to study the survival of SARS-CoV-2 on surfaces in the food supply chain
- Virginia 4-H asking the communities it helped build to give back
- Innovative air filtration system could lead to recycling of captured pollutants
- Virginia Tech engagement efforts take center stage at national awards panel
- Hokie BugFest goes virtual for its 10th anniversary
- Mapping With Drones workshops offered online
- Extension, Virginia and National 4-H, Google, launch Mars Base Camp initiative
- 26th annual Hokie Harvest and cattle auction to go online in 2020