Victory Gardens Project
Arlington Virginia Cooperative Extension and Friends of Urban Agriculture (FOUA) are partnering with Arlington Public Schools (APS) to turn classroom gardens into Victory Gardens. These gardens will grow fresh vegetables to support the community during COVID-19. We are excited to work with APS Garden Coordinators at Wakefield, TJ Middle School, Hoffman-Boston Elementary, and Tuckahoe Elementary to maximize their gardens’ capacities to donate fresh produce to local food pantries. Master Gardeners serve as technical advisors and Master Food Volunteers help in the garden.
To sign up to bag or deliver produce, visit https://arlingtonurbanag.org/volunteer/
Summer 2022: We are collecting produce for donation! Volunteers are currently at Rock Spring Church every Monday from 1:00 PM- 3:00 PM to accept donations. The site will be open on Mondays and Thursdays, 1-3 starting in August. Or, donate produce directly to local food pantries. Here is a list of local food pantries that are accepting fresh produce donations (list as of 7/10/2020). Please note, some food pantries only accept pre-packaged produce while others will accept unbagged, bulk donations.
Help us make this summer even more successful than the last two! In 2020, we had over 6,000 lbs of produce donated at the Rock Spring Church bagging site. Over 7,000 lbs was gleaned from local farms through volunteers and bagged at the Rock Spring Site. In 2021, over 9,100 pounds were donated at Rock Spring Church. Over 3,500 pounds were donated at AFAC. And over 39,600 pounds were gleaned from local farms!
Thank you to all the volunteers (Master Gardeners, Master Food Volunteers, Rock Spring Church, Plot Volunteers, college students, high school students, and community members) for all your help in growing, gleaning, packaging, and delivering the produce! Thank you to Rock Spring Church for providing use of their facility and Marymount University for providing funds to support the Victory Garden Produce Bagging Project."
Victory Garden Project, In The News
- ARLNow.com reported on VCE's partnership with Arlington Public Schools (APS) and Friends of Urban Agriculture (FOUA) in developing School Victory Gardens. Read the article here.
- Arlington Embarks On Modern Take on WWII Victory Gardens, Insidenova. Read the article here.
- Growing, Bagging, Donating—Community Comes Together in Arlington, The Arlington Connection. Read the article here.
- Virginia Cooperative Extension Recommended Guidelines for Community Gardening during COVID-19
- Safe Produce for Food Pantries
- Grow Food for Neighbors: Plot Against Hunger
- Vegetable Gardening & Produce Harvest, Storage & Transport
- VCE - Home Vegetable Gardening page
- VCE - Food Safety for School and Community Gardens: A Handbook for Beginning and Veteran Garden Organizers
- Gardening during COVID-19, VCE special gardening/food handling precautions during COVID-19: